Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Running Any Third Party iPhone Apps? Bye-Bye Warranty!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:54:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Warren Magnus <wmagnus () samespace com>
Date: September 25, 2007 1:23:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Running Any Third Party iPhone Apps? Bye-Bye Warranty!

Ok, so Apple isn't going to intentionally brick iPhones. How does the saber rattling change the clear contempt for their customers?

No unlocked iPhones because Apple wants the monthly revs from AT&T. No third party software because Apple wants control and their slice of the ringtone business. This isn't a handy consumer device, it's a shiny conduit to send money to Apple every month forever. Maybe if they'd just send me a monthly statement with a line item that says, "Making you look cool $60." It would be more fundamentally honest.

Really, though, this "licensing" of software on devices that you purchase has got to stop. Either I bought it or I didn't. The inability of Apple to easily "unbrick" a flash ROM based device is a design flaw for which they should not blame edge case consumers.

-W