Interesting People mailing list archives

Scoop? Japan passed 10 million FttH mark on last July 4

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:55:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "D.H. van der Woude" <dirkvanderwoude () gmail com>
Date: September 23, 2007 7:15:40 AM EDT
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Scoop? Japan passed 10 million FttH mark on last July 4

For IP if you wish

I haven't seen any news on the latest official Japanese
broadbandstatistics. Luckily Google offers a great
online translation of the Japanese original
http://www.soumu.go.jp/s-news/2007/070918_4.html

Last June 30 FttH was at 9,662,662 which means an
increase since March 31  with 860,000 or (again) 287,000
per month. My prognosis was that the 10 million mark
would be reached somewhere in August or September,
actualy it must have been on the 4th of July.

DSL decreased again, for the fifth quarter in a row. This
time the loss was 270,000

The total number of wireline broadband contracts
increased with 710,000 to 27,15 million. FttH stands
at 36% (+2%), DSL at 51% (-2%), cable at 14%.

Somewhere in the spring of 2008 the number of fiber
contracts will surpass that of DSL.

Attached the lastest version of my spreadsheet on Japan
and Google's translation of the MIC press release.

grtz
 Attachments deleted but I will send if you need djf