Interesting People mailing list archives

About the Dark Side

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:54:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Date: September 30, 2007 10:00:06 AM EDT
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: About the Dark Side

Lauren,

Nice piece on the Farber list. Personally I have a $19 per month
grandfathered plan with Cingular/AT&T. The phone is used mostly for
International travel, GSM sucks less in the US now than it did ten
years ago when I signed up, but anyway...

If I were to "upgrade" to an iPhone, not only would I get a locked
phone, I would pay around $40 more per month for the privilege of
owning an iPhone, never mind using it. I would ALSO automatically
LOSE international roaming and any international LD plan that I
might have, all of this would have o be re-applied for.

Of course with no 3G band the iPhone would not work in Japan unlike my
current phone.

There is simply no reason for me to get an iPhone until (if ever)
these issues are resolved.

Here is the part I don't understand: In many parts of the world the
sale of "cool" replacement ('upgrade') handsets is Big Buiness. While
having AT&T as the exclusive provide in the US might be a good way
for Apple to get started in the handset business, why can't they just
SELL THE PHONE at a premium to folks who are willing to pay. Surely
this would sell a lot more iPhones at the end of the day?

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj