Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Top Five Misconceptions About the Success of Municipal Wireless Networks

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:23:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 7, 2007 8:09:45 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] The Top Five Misconceptions About the Success of Municipal Wireless Networks

I've come to believe that the idea of a municipal network is flawed in the same way that a municipal light company is. It should be seen as contributing to a common infrastructure and not as a service and it should be a apart from the coverage provided by the many local access points. There is no "business model" anymore than there is a "business model" for roads. One can make a case for municipal connectivity but it is not a business model as such.

The problem in Perkoswki's defense is that it is all couched in terms of a service business model and not a connectivity model. He correctly recognizes that wireless connectivity is important but fails to escape from telecom.

This is why we need protocols that enable compositing connectivity from the edge rather than having a (another) local phone company. We can then realize the value of a common infrastructure.

More in http://www.frankston.com/?name=WiFiEdge and http:// www.frankston.com/?Name=InternetDynamic.