Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 'Old guy' gets another chance in Google age-discrimination suit

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:27:26 -0400

Sad but VERY true and believe me they hardly ever give credit djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: October 6, 2007 2:35:35 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Ari Ollikainen <Ari () OLTECO com>
Subject: Re: [IP] 'Old guy' gets another chance in Google age- discrimination suit

I like the "too old to matter" part. In non-academic computing a great way to be brilliant is merely to mine "old" (i.e. 20 years or so) journals for algorithms and advice. The best part is yo don't have to falsely take credit for it -- show someone the journal and they _still_ will consider it novel.

This sounds like sarcasm but sadly I am not making this up. Shocking if Google really has fallen into this trap, especially with Brian Reid and Wayne Rosing.