Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MPAA Explains Why It's Okay To Tie Federal Funds To Blocking File Sharing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:09:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us
Date: November 21, 2007 2:32:36 AM EST
To: "David Farber" <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Subject: Re: MPAA Explains Why It's Okay To Tie Federal Funds To Blocking File Sharing

Dave

Perhaps for IP.

"After all, many kids on college campuses own cars -- and I'd imagine that most of those students break the speed limit frequently enough. Yet, we don't see any bills being proposed in Congress that would prevent financial aid funding unless universities start handing out more speeding tickets and put in place plans to offer public transportation. So why should they do that for copyright infringement?"

I disagree. It seems to me that the Big Gummint should withhold all funds from colleges & universities that do not forbid students from having driver's licenses,
owning cars, or driving any vehicles.

Fortunately for me, I got my hands on a degree and got out of university long before the internet (and this controversy) arose. So, I did get to drive while I simultaneously matriculated. As I recall, you were then busy with Arpanet.

Cheers,
Bob

P.S  Then the Big Gummint should outlaw the MPAA.

--
Bob Rosenberg
P.O. Box 33023

**************

"Civil government cannot let any group ride roughshod over others simply because
their consciences tell them to do so."
-- Robert H. Jackson
While an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Jackson was appointed Chief United States Prosecutor at the International War Crimes Tribunal in
Nuremberg, Germany.

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and
creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
-- Harry S. Truman, message to Congress, August 8, 1950

MPAA Explains Why It's Okay To Tie Federal Funds To Blocking File
Sharing
from the because-we-say-so,-dammit dept
While Congress' new bill on education funding may not be as bad as
some are making it out to be, it still seems quite questionable that
Congress appears to be regulating the idea that universities need to
do the kind of marketing and educational campaigns that the recording
industry cannot. We've asked supporters of the bill to explain how it
could possibly make sense to mandate such things, and the MPAA's top
lawyer, Fritz Attaway, has given his answer, claiming that it's
because the internet is "used primarily to allow college students to
traffic in infringing content," while being subsidized by gov't funds.
It would be nice if Attaway or someone else at the MPAA could actually
back up the claim that the primary use of the internet by students is
infringement. While I wouldn't doubt that it's a popular use, to say
that it's the primary use is hard to believe -- unless you count
things like visiting Facebook pages, using Google and sending emails
as "infringement." At the same time, this doesn't seem to support the
reasons for this bill. After all, many kids on college campuses own