Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Bush administration proposal would criminalize 'attempted' copyright infringement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:36:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>
Date: May 15, 2007 10:29:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Bush administration proposal would criminalize 'attempted' copyright infringement

For IP:

Life imprisonment is only one step away.  So a hospital employee who
uses pirated software (assuming this means that the DRM was
subverted) will be punished in the same way that murders are punished.

What are these guys thinking.....

They're thinking that keeping the "right" people in power
and punishing wrongdoers (and thinkers), defined as anybody who
opposes the "right" people, is more important than anything else.

If you haven't read this book, you may want to do so:
 http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

If you have any remaining illusions that the current administration
is like the party of Nelson Rockefeller or even Nixon, much less Goldwater,
that book may dispell them for you.

To any readers who are Republicans: I wish you luck in taking
your party back from the people who have stolen it.

Bob

-jsq

 "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists,
  and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians
  who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle,
  the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have
  tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face
  and say 'you helped this happen.'" (September 13, 2001, The 700 Club)

 "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions."

  --Jerry Falwell (August 11, 1933 - May 15, 2007)

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting 'Jesus Christ,' so that it would read 'A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;' the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the
  mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and
  Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

  --Thomas Jefferson (April 13, 1743 - July 4, 1826),
    Autobiography, re the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom