Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: PCs and education

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:05:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: jordan pollack <pollack () brandeis edu>
Date: May 7, 2007 6:19:56 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] PCs and education

The idea of computers improving education isn't bad, its the
implementation which sucks, going all the way back to PLATO. Just 3
short points:

LAPTOPS HAVE BEEN BUILT AND OPTIMIZED FOR CORPORATIONS. A few years ago
when I started a project to export discoveries from co-evolutionary
machine learning to the domain of human learning, I came up with the
short phrase "One to One" learning and much to my amazement, the term
was already in use as a way to sell corporate laptops  (HP, INTEL) and
Microsoft office software  to schools as "One laptop, One Student".  As
if using Microsoft Word with its spelling and grammar checker will
improve children's ridden work. Now, its seems to be called "Freedom To
Learn"  http://www.ftlwireless.org/

PC'S ARE AS MINDLESSLY ADDICTIVE AS TELEVISION. You would not knowingly
give a kid a TV to carry around all day to get addicted to soap operas
and exercise machine infomercials. Once you give away connected machine,
kids WILL choose mindless video games and you-tube eye-candy over boring
educational content, despite porn filters. The idea of  open ducational
resources like MIT's  (which is free for you, but well-endowed for them
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v51/i26/26a03201.htm ) might work for
career-minded adults motivated to train themselves, but kids need to be
placed in a motivating structure.

GOOD EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING WILL NEVER BE AS PROFITABLE AS OTHER
CONTENT.   Nick's new TV may cost $100, but the "free" programs will
cost a heck of a lot more, and won' have the same sponsors as American
Idol. We have a Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which makes TV
programming which is too unprofitable for the mass networks, so each
country, including ours,  might need its own non-profit Corporation for
Public Educational Software.

Anyway, my big idea is that managed-competition peer-interactions across
the Internet could lead to one-one as in "one-teacher-per-one-student"
learning, (where the "teacher" emerges from the network of  students)
solving Bloom's 2-Sigma problem and finessing the missing AI in
intelligent tutoring programs.

Cheers,
Jordan

Professor Jordan B. Pollack   Dynamic & Evolution Machine Org
Computer Science Department   FaxPhone/Lab: 781-736-2713/3366
MS018,  Brandeis University   http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu
Waltham Massachusetts 02454   e-mail: pollack-at-brandeis.edu
Multiplayer Education Games   FOR FREE! http://www.beeweb.org

Begin forwarded message: