Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Avg broadband download speed in the US is 1.9 Mbps. It is 61 Mbps in Japan, 45 Mbps in South Korea, 18 Mbps in Sweden, 17 Mpbs in France, and 7 Mbps in Canada

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:44:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Daniel Weitzner <djweitzner () csail mit edu>
Date: May 22, 2007 2:02:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Avg broadband download speed in the US is 1.9 Mbps. It is 61 Mbps in Japan, 45 Mbps in South Korea, 18 Mbps in Sweden, 17 Mpbs in France, and 7 Mbps in Canada

I'm sure these numbers are real, but it's less than clear what we should infer from them.

I'd like to know answers to questions such as:

-what is the average upload speed?
-how many blog/YouTube posts are made from these various countries?
-how does the overall volume of upstream content posted correlate with the average download and upload speeds? -what regulatory and ownership structures come with these network configurations?

As far as I know, some of the countries on the list have made these impressive broadband deployments happen either by direct public subsidy and/or by continuing monopoly control of the networks. I'm not condemning either option necessarily, but they do have baggage that comes with them once you've gotten your bits fast.

As much as I like high bandwidth downstream, good upstream bandwidth and non-discriminatory carriage are as important of not more so than raw bandwidth.

Danny