Interesting People mailing list archives

GENI discussion

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:54:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Zegura, Ellen Witte" <ewz () cc gatech edu>
Date: May 22, 2007 3:33:53 AM EDT
To: ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: dave () farber net, Scott Shenker <shenker () icsi berkeley edu>, Ed Lazowska <lazowska () cs washington edu>
Subject: GENI discussion

I’ve seen the IP thread about GENI that was prompted by yesterday’s announcement that BBN will be the GENI Project Office (GPO). Along with Scott Shenker, I am helping lead the GENI Science Council (GSC), the group that represents the research community that will make use of the GENI facility.

I wanted to respond to a few parts of Bob’s message. Primarily, I wanted to make clear that GENI is a facility for experimenting with new Internet architectures, not a proposal to BE the new architecture. The reason for slicing is to allow multiple experiments to run on the same physical resources at the same time. The slices are managed so that experimenters don’t step on one another during the testing phase. There are other funding programs in NSF that will fund the research on alternative architectures and ideas that can be tested in the GENI facility. These include the FIND program, and many other networking and distributed systems programs. Of course, one could propose that GENI itself be the new architecture – and surely some will -- and then folks like Bob and others could reasonably debate the wisdom of that. We’re not there yet, though, and its important to keep the distinction between GENI as a facility and GENI as a proposed new architecture.

With respect to the suggestion that money would be better spent on research that improves our understanding of how to operate well from the edge, I guess I view that as complementary. GENI is likely to support experiments that modify edges and use a standard IPv4 or v6 core, perhaps with instrumentation inside the network that would allow more insight into what helps edge-controlled apps work better.

Ellen