Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Congressional streams mirrored

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 09:08:10 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonah Bossewitch <jonah () ccnmtl columbia edu>
Date: March 3, 2007 5:37:17 AM JST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: smb () cs columbia edu, Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Congressional streams mirrored

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting my comments - I think the wrong message ended up on the mailing list. Carl had replied to an email that never went through - this one

--------
No conversation on the availability of c-span footage would be complete without reference to the metavid project:

http://metavid.ucsc.edu/

They are valiantly attempting to openly archive the footage by legally capturing it while it is still in the public domain. They have worked hard to sort out many of the legal/IP issues.

I believe they are currently operating under a very small grant from http://www.sunlightfoundation.com/ , but their efforts should surely be supported.

Carl - perhaps you might consider coordinating your efforts with theirs, as the toolset might be more powerful for finding footage than simple tagging.

Now, just imagine bringing this kind of technology to bear on this archive - http://www.informedia.cs.cmu.edu/. This is a group for whom searching and indexing video is last decades problem, and they are off and running auto-classifying behavior and content with machine learning.

best,
/Jonah
------

This message included links to the sunlightfoundation and the informedia project, both of which may be of interest to the list. Anyway, not a big deal, but Carl's reply was out of context, since the original never made it through.

Anyway, have a good one,
/jsb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jonah Bossewitch
Senior Technical Architect
ccnmtl.columbia.edu
jonah at ccnmtl dot columbia dot edu
212.854.1815
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No conversation on the availability of c-span footage would be
complete without reference to the metavid project:

http://metavid.ucsc.edu/

<snip>

Carl - perhaps you might consider coordinating your efforts with
theirs, as the toolset might be more powerful for finding footage
than simple tagging.

Heh ... I'm an official advisor to metavid.  Drove down
to meet them at eff two weeks ago, drove down to santa
cruz to do another ftf last week.

Metavid is cool ... I hope the foundations do the right
thing and fund these guys.

Carl

P.S. Dave ... fine to post.  :)

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now