Interesting People mailing list archives

face recognition flop why do I not believe this

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:21:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: July 26, 2007 2:15:33 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: face recognition flop why do I not believe this

If you have a 0.1% false positive rate, you will also have the problem that I saw in my service on a Massachusetts Grand Jury. You end up with 5 presumptive bad guys out of every 5000 screened, which makes the crowd anxious. Something must be happening here ... where there's smoke there must be fire. Crowd gets anxious. Must find at least one guy guilty or we can't relax because one of those guys must be a real bad guy - we can't just put them back on the street. You end up with people very happy to go along with anything the authorities say - I mean they are clearly protecting us from those people who "fail" the face recognition test, and there are lots of them, evidently. Don't tell me about false positive - it's scientific and peer reviewed so something is happening. It's probably the one of the 5 who has dark skin and is really scared looking.