Interesting People mailing list archives

re: more on All hail the new iPhone - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:33:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: January 12, 2007 4:00:52 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: [IP] more on All hail the new iPhone - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Thomas Leavitt.  DLH]

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: January 11, 2007 9:40:44 PM PST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com

Dewayne,

I currently have a Sidekick II, via T-Mobile. Love it, despite various and sundry issues I have with elements of the design / functionality... being able to pull it out and surf to just about any website, almost no matter where I am, for $20/mo flat rate, just kicks ass so majorly - along with being able to "ssh" into my servers and troubleshoot, etc.

The iPhone, as described/represented, is seriously tempting. Looks like a damn sweet piece of technology with Apple's characteristic flair for design (seriously highlights my Sidekick II's kind of clunky design). That said, switching cellphone companies is not (for a variety of reasons) - especially to Ma Bell (ugh - I'm already stuck with them for landline service; Pacbell --> SBC --> AT&T --> AT&T + BellSouth... does anyone see a pattern here?).

I'm utterly baffled as to why Steve Jobs would tie the success of the launch of this product to a single vendor... unless follow on phones might be released in editions exclusive to other providers, or other versions of the product might be available on multiple platforms. In fact, if it is his attention to capture 1% of the WORLD cellphone market, that seems almost mandatory...

Thomas