Interesting People mailing list archives

another DARPA initiative: "Urban Reasoning and Geospatial Exploitation Technology (URGENT)"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:24:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: January 22, 2007 12:16:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: another DARPA initiative: "Urban Reasoning and Geospatial Exploitation Technology (URGENT)"

DARPA is planning a brief to industry on another new initiative, "Urban Reasoning and Geospatial Exploitation Technology (URGENT)":
http://www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/DARPA/CMO/SN07%2D16/Synopsis.html

In a nutshell, "We've got baseline models for what the ground looks like in urban environments; we can use air- and spaceborne imagery and radar to figure out where person-sized objects are against that."

According to the published synopsis, "The URGENT goal is to achieve a 100x increase in analyst productivity with equal or better accuracy compared to the unassisted human image analyst."

Looking at the DoD solicitations over the past several years, there's been a great deal of emphasis on sensors/analysis aimed at detection/ tracking of individuals; not at all surprising (e.g., focusing on insurgents, and not Soviet tanks), but worth keeping in mind, vis-a- vis the issues of civilian surveillance and privacy/anonymity/freedom of association/assembly in our republic.

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.