Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Visual VM

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:21:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 14, 2007 11:33:12 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Visual VM

Sometimes on has to say “DUH”. Of course you want to manage your message store and treat voice messages no differently from email and other messages in your message store. It’s has also been obvious for decades that you want to use a smart surface with feedback. Might as well look at MMS and, for that matter, Bluetooth, to see the result of absolute power and design by committee.

The problem with voice mail is not the user interface – it’s the fact that all we get is the user interface and we don’t have access to an API that allows us to implement our own interfaces and management tools. This is the façade problem – we tend to confuse the façade for the real thing.

This is why I’ve complained in the past about the attempts to ban cell phones on airplanes – the social agenda denies us the underlying technology.

Today we talk about broadband competition because we’ve managed to use that problematic transport as a path for Internet packets. People now think that we have the Internet because of not despite broadband and the FCC is complicit in this delusion.

Some people even think that only a phone company can make a phone call.

Maybe the iPod/iPhone is the perfect product for those who don’t want to know they should be able to do it themselves -- http:// www.theroyalwe.org/1984.html or http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=TUl1DFBKdv8