Interesting People mailing list archives

Ich Bin Ein Berliner: the chance all politicians pray for

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 06:01:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Date: January 2, 2007 8:54:03 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Subject: Ich Bin Ein Berliner: the chance all politicians pray for

Dave,

So few politicians have a chance to be an authentic local hero, let alone
 combine it with the good life--

"Berlin mayor New Year fire alert saves neighbours
Tue Jan 2, 2007 2:50 PM GMT

BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit was the hero of his apartment building on New Year's Eve when he warned neighbours the roof was on fire -- and consoled them with champagne in a local restaurant."

"We were sitting there eating our chocolate fondue when he rang the bell and shouted 'The building is on fire!'" neighbour Gerd Luetjen told Bild newspaper. "I tried to warn other neighbours but Wowereit had already been everywhere."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx? type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-01-02T145021Z_01_L02933516_RTRIDST_0_O UKOE-UK-GERMANY-MAYOR-FIRE.XML&src=rss

Best, Ted

--
Theodor Holm Nelson
  Visiting Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute