Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: more on Thoughts on XM, Sirius, and playing by the rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:04:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () nokia com>
Date: February 21, 2007 2:24:13 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Cc: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () nokia com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Thoughts on XM, Sirius, and playing by the rules

I think the basic problem with XM and Sirius satellite radio is that it can't money. I don't think there are enough people who are are willing to buy new radios and pay a monthly subscription. There are too many alternative sources for content. I don't think that merging the two will make the economics much better.

Combining two poor businesses won't make one good one. To improve the economics they will have to move the customer base of one to another and that's going to be very hard without giving away new equipment and service.

I think this shows that there is a limit to how much people are willing to pay per month for content services. We have fixed phone, mobile phone, cable/satellite TV, tivo, netflix, satellite radio, itunes, etc. Most people are not going to get all of these.

Bob

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now