Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Nader's at it again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:09:12 -0500

for the record AGAIN AND AGAIN, the opinions in IP are not necessarily mine and very seldom originate from me.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bonnie L Bucqueroux <bucquero () msu edu>
Date: February 19, 2007 5:22:50 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] more on Nader's at it again

I ran for Congress from the 8th district of Michigan on the Green Party ticket topped by Ralph Nader in 2000. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the misplaced vitriol aimed at Ralph, but I feel the need to correct the record. The first issue is the canard that the Dems are such a dramatic improvement over the Republicans that we dare not vote for any third party. Are you seriously impressed with your new Democratic legislators and their "non-binding" resolutions on the Iraq War? If so, the problem isn't the Dems themselves as much as your willingness to settle for nothing.

The second theme is that Al Gore was such a champion for the environment that we would be reversing global warming if he had only been elected. Yea verily, Al made a nice movie (though the self- serving stuff about his sister's death from lung cancer though the family made part of its fortune from tobacco was a bit rich). But remember that Al never once mentioned the environment during the presidential debates, when he had every chance to educate the audience. A profile in courage? See "first issue" above.

http://crimevictims.net/forcongress/ - This link takes you to my campaign Web site. Note the three issues I pushed -- global warming, universal health care and ending the war on drugs. Do you seriously expectany progress on those three issues now that the Dems control Congress?

Before spewing such self-righteous twaddle at Ralph, I suggest you take the time to read books such as BBC reporter Greg Palast's "Armed and Dangerous" where you will learn that the number of votes stolen by the Republicans in recent elections far outstrip the votes Ralph and I gleaned. And no one, repeat no one, is doing anything about that.

But what I did accomplish during my run was to galvanize high school kids in government classes to engage in the process. I still see many of them around town and most are quick to say that my campaign helped them see how politics matters in their lives.

I would gladly vote for some real Democrats.  Anybody seen any lately?
Remember that the Dems had the majority in Congress for all but six years from 1955 to 1995 yet Teddy Kennedy never did get us universal healthcare. With a track record like that, why should we keep rewarding failure?
Thanks -
Bonnie Bucqueroux

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now