Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING CMU Privacy-Enhanced Search Engine Study

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:28:46 -0500

From: Mary Shaw [mailto:mary.shaw () gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:48 PM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: WORTH READING CMU Privacy-Enhanced Search Engine Study

Dave,

You can think of the privacy problem as having two parts: for an end user to
understand what a company is promising and to find out whether the company
is keeping those promises.

Seth seems to be suggesting either that the former is solved and only the
latter matters or that it doesn't make sense to work on the former without
also solving the latter.

Seems to me that both are real problems: United Airlines might have made
clear unambiguous statement about their privacy commitments, but most
corporate policies are at lease obscure, often unclear and ambiguous.  Do
end users really understand what is implied by the usual bit about releasing
your information to the company's business partners in order to do whatever
it is the company is doing with the business partner?

Mary Shaw