Interesting People mailing list archives

AT&T flings cellphone network wide open

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 06:57:48 -0500

At long last. Interesting what Hill attention can bring. BTW T-mobile has always done this. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: December 6, 2007 4:08:07 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] AT&T flings cellphone network wide open

AT&T flings cellphone network wide open
USA Today
By Leslie Cauley

Starting immediately, AT&T (T) customers can ditch their AT&T phones and use any wireless phone, device and software application from any maker — think smartphones, e-mail and music downloading. And they don't have to sign a contract. "You can use any handset on our network you want," says Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T's wireless business. "We don't prohibit it, or even police it."

AT&T's push to give consumers maximum control of their wireless worlds is being driven, in part, by Google. The tech giant is a monster in the Internet search business for personal computers, and is hoping to replicate that success in the wireless market.

<http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2007-12-05-att_N.htm>