Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wikipedia -- tracking down self-serving anonymous edits

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 06:17:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: August 24, 2007 8:23:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Wikipedia -- tracking down self-serving anonymous edits

Though I agree that Wikipedia is not an authoritative source, this does raise the question of what is an authoritative source.

Presumably depending on the "fact" in question, what makes a source authoritative is highly context dependent.

So here's a question: on a matter of (say) historical fact such as who first reached America by sea, who *would* be an authoritative source, and how could you tell?

To be honest, I'd trust Wikipedia articles that have been actively edited by a wide community far more than I would some self-proclaimed expert who takes cash to appear on a typical Fox News or CNN show. And probably more than someone who wrote a book whose goal is to make the best-seller list by being "interesting" (or worse).

Of course, one can always trust people with Ph.D.'s.  :-)

Begin forwarded message: