Interesting People mailing list archives

IPhone and AT&T

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:07:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christian de Larrinaga <cdel () firsthand net>
Date: August 27, 2007 6:59:09 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Digest 1.1457 for ip

Dave,

Perhaps there is an apparent shared lack of humility to which you are referring?

There is locking and there is locking in. Steve Job's "appliance " fixation has led to some great innovations but also to the many brick walls that Apple has hit over the years. I do wonder if the desire to offer iPhone - the mobile appliance - has led to this deal with the devil. I do not so much refer to the locking of the phone to a particular network carrier but to the deployment of IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) style carrier network dependent applications such as the much vaunted iPhone's combined Instant Message, SMS, Voice mail message browser. If you happen to roam out of ATT firewall will it be broken? That is the problem.

Maybe Apple found they could not deploy a fully open (that is scalable) IP style architecture for a mobile wireless appliance in the time they wanted to do it. However unless they start to move very fast either to open up the architecture to open source community to fill in the gaps or make the necessary internal investment to do it in their own proprietary way they will fail to deliver the open end to end capable device they could and what I think users really would like.

Locking iPhone to a carrier disguises the really fundamental lock down which is the breaking of network transparency for the applications on iPhone and this may all have been done to satisfy the desire by Mr. Jobs to create iPhone as the mobile "appliance". Unfortunately for Apple it has instead run into the wall of scaling iPhone to the proportions of the Internet. Even choosing to partner with the quite large company of ATT doesn't give the scale needed to address the market. Until Apple can do that it sadly will be offering a broken appliance.

best regards,

Christian

Christian de Larrinaga FBCS CITP
Internet Evangelist