Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Recalled UPC codes labled over on Wal-Mart Pet Foods

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:44:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Lamont <spl () ncmir ucsd edu>
Date: August 25, 2007 11:01:03 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Recalled UPC codes labled over on Wal-Mart Pet Foods

[For IP?]

From: TruChaos () aol com
Date: August 24, 2007 10:53:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net

"Initially, the product code checks out as safe, but if the sticker
is peeled off, there is another product code underneath. The original
UPC code underneath the sticker matches the ones on the pet food
recall list."
[ . . . ]

I'm no big fan of Wal*Mart -- I don't shop there or any other "big
box" store that I concievably can avoid -- but I wonder if anyone
actually read all the way to the bottom of the article, where you'll
find this link:

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6976794&nav=menu33_3

 Menu Foods Responds to Concerns About Special Kitty Cat Food

 A WSFA 12 News update concerning the questions surrounding recalled
 cat food.  We first reported Wednesday a local woman found what she
 believed was some of the recalled Special Kitty brand cat food on the
 shelves at a Montgomery Wal-Mart.  The original product codes were
 covered with a new sticker and a different code.

 After her story, many of you called WSFA 12 news expressing your
 concern. Today, we have some answers for you. We heard back from Menu
 Foods, the company that makes Special Kitty cat food in the
 pouches. A company official assures us the food is safe for pets to
 eat.

 Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of contaminated pet food.
 The company tells WSFA 12 News that all of the "tainted" food is off
 store shelves.

 "We replaced that with new product that was made long after we
 removed the contaminated ingredient from China from production. "

 Company spokesman Randall Copeland says that in an effort to get back
 in business and provide a safe product to its customers, the Menu
 Foods put a sticker with a new product code over the original product
 code. Copeland went on to say, "many will have a UPC attached over
 the old UPC to deliniate that this is a new product."

 The company confirmed the old code is on the recall list, but says
 the food inside is safe. There are a couple of ways to check. First,
 look at the production date.  Plus, all of the food manufactured
 after the recall has "QA OK" - meaning quality assured okay -  on the
 pouch.

 "There are multiple ways the consumer can be sure they are getting a
 safe product", Copeland said.

 Menu Foods estimates the recall cost the company around 45 million
 dollars.

 Special Kitty Cat Food is not the only pet food with the laminated
 labels over the old label. There are several brands of pet food,
 including some dog food - that have the new labels.  Menu Foods has a
 list of the recalled items with the production dates and product code
 numbers listed on its website.  You can click on the link located at
 the top of this article.

                                 -30-

[Link here:]

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/