Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:41:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul C. Lembesis" <lembesis () emerson-associates com>
Date: April 24, 2007 1:08:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

for IP if appropriate:

The report may be a way to encourage cable to adopt a la carte programming, but that would not mean anything for broadcast television. For broadcast, there is a real likelihood of either new legal regulation or new self-regulation of some kind to restrict violent programming.

For any law, it will be difficult, but not necessarily impossible, to find a definition of "violence" that is sufficiently precise to pass constitutional review. However the courts are aware of the increasing violence in our culture and they may be favorably disposed to a new law.

I think that broadcasters might be willing to adopt a voluntary code but for the fact that cable would not go along. Cable content has always been held to a lesser standard and cable companies will expect to continue to be held to a lesser standard by the courts.

So it may be hard to find a compromise, leading to a long-drawn battle.

Paul Lembesis