Interesting People mailing list archives

Senator Clinton Introduces Rural Broadband Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:59:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Preiss <michael.preiss () earthlink net>
Date: April 3, 2007 5:38:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Senator Clinton Introduces Rural Broadband Bill

If this isn't a government boondoggle - and a giant double-BOHICA for the rest of America - in the making, I don't know what is. If this bill comes to pass, it won't be the broadband providers who pay for this initiative, it will be their customers, in the form of some type of surcharge or user fee. Or perhaps the Dems will be bold enough to call it what it really is - a tax.

Will service providers really obtain ROIs worth their time and money by spending hundreds of millions of dollars building infrastructure and capacity (in some cases) in places that have a smaller concentration of people per square mile than space contains oxygen molecules? Are the "beneficiaries" of this bill going to be able to afford to pay for the service? Do they have computers? Can they afford computers if they don't already have them? Maybe there needs to be a tax placed on computers so we can subsidize the manufacturing of computers for people who can't afford or don't want them. As if we don't have enough hands in our pockets already.

What I mentioned in the previous paragraph was only the BOHICA. How this is going to be mismanaged is a combination of a boondoggle and the second BOHICA. First, what the heck does the Department of Agriculture know about broadband, communications and the economics of that industry? I don't think too much. Does it make any sense whatsoever to build the same level of incapabilities within the DOA - which is what I hope happens to this bill - that already exists within another bloated government agency, the FCC? I don't think so.

Now we have another needless bureaucracy in the making, inside an existing needless bureaucracy that already contains more pork than a pig farm has pigs, that's going to need funding. The government sure isn't going to rob Peter to pay Paul. It's going to rob us, the taxpayers. We are going to be socked with having to pay to fund the initiative for service providers and for the bureaucrats to provide undersight, mismanagement and corruption.

Looking at this from another angle, this bill could be a bluebird for those ISPs that use satellite technology to deliver their services. They already have the delivery channels. Could the existence of satellite technology negate the need for Clinton's bill? Could Clinton's bill begin an argument that satellite providers must share - or sell at a sizable discount - their bandwidth with ISPs who don't use satellite technology but want to sell their services to the rural market?

There are definitely many facets to this jewel-less gem of an issue.

Begin forwarded message:

Senator Clinton Introduces Rural Broadband Bill

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) introduced legislation on Friday entitled The Rural Broadband Initiatives Act (S.1032). According to a statement from Senator Clinton, this legislation “will extend and improve access to broadband services in small towns across America.” The bill would establish an Office of Rural Broadband Initiatives within the Department of Agriculture. It would also establish a Rural Broadband Innovation fund to explore and develop cutting edge broadband delivery technologies to reach underserved rural areas.

<http://clinton.senate.gov/news/statements/details.cfm?id=271662&&;>

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now
RSS Feed: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/7495992-1ac9a9