Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Flight experience yesterday (Thursday) at Heathrow

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 08:10:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Earle Jones <earle.jones () comcast net>
Date: September 1, 2006 7:20:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Flight experience yesterday (Thursday) at Heathrow

I landed at Heathrow (LHR) yesterday from Prague via Dusseldorf on Lufthansa at 11:35 AM local time with a connection via United to SFO scheduled for 2:15 PM. The two-hour, 35-minute layover was just barely enough time to make the flight. When I finally arrived at the United gate, the flight had already begun to board.

At LHR Lufthansa uses Terminal 1 and United uses Terminal 3. This compounds an already significant problem. Arriving and departing the same terminal would only be a miserable hour-long security check line. But departing from a different terminal substantially increases the difficulty.

The line through baggage check made six "loops" of about 50 feet each and was painfully slow-moving. Hand carried baggage was allowed, provided there were no liquids in them.

I was amazed at how many people just didn't get the word about taking liquids in their hand-carried baggage. Women were complaining about losing their expensive lipsticks (some of which were purchased just moments before in the Duty-Free shop). "Use it now and then get rid of it", commanded the young security woman standing over a rapidly filling plastic bag of disallowed stuff. In went not only the shampoo, hair spray, toothpaste, ChapStick, hand lotion and liquid medications (without Rx), but I saw a couple of bottles of some interesting looking French wines and many, many bottles of water.

Lap-tops, cell phones, PDA's were ok, but had to be removed from the hand baggage before scanning. I could have taken the plans for an A- Bomb through on a hard disk, but a two-dollar ChapStick -- no.

Ironically, the United flight left on time and arrived in SFO a couple of minutes early.

Security at the smaller airports: Prague, Dusseldorf, even Berlin seemed almost normal. Frankfurt was hectic. Hotel security was obviously turned up a notch in most cities, with military-looking guards making the rounds in the Budapest and Warsaw hotels.

Flying used to be fun, but no longer. Most believe that it is only going to get worse.

Happily retired,

earle
*