Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Scholastic Rethinks Path to 9/11 Study Guide

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:02:58 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John BARTAS <Jbartas () speakeasy net>
Date: September 11, 2006 2:59:04 PM JST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Scholastic Rethinks Path to 9/11 Study Guide

Hi Dave,

You are correct that it could be quite a useful exercise, but unfortunately neither the schools nor Scholastic is trying to do this.

The schools don't have a mandate for it - in fact, there's case law declaring that K-12 public school teachers are there to teach a lesson plan set by the community, not their personal beliefs. This is good - reversing this law would result in billions of dollars in teaching scholarships for young radical conservatives from Focus on the Family, Richard Mellon Scaife <http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/ 1998/04/27/scaife.profile/>, and other well heeled groups who want to indoctrinate the next generation in their views. This doesn't happen (much) because teachers are supposed to stick to the curriculum and leave personal politics outside.

Similarly, Scholastic Books has profited from a trusted position leveraging public schools for their book sales. Promoting any overtly partisan film, whether an anti-Clinton fantasy like "Path to 9-11" or an anti-Bush documentary like "Fahrenheit 9-11" is way overstepping their moral authority. It may not violate any laws, but it's gonna be bad for business - if I were a stockholder (NASDAQ - SCHL) I'd be selling. As a (former) customer, I'm boycotting.

Scholastic's latest position on the subject (link below) still refers to this fictional film as a "docudrama" and tries to connect invading Iraq with fighting "Terror". The very fact they offer a "study guide" is an implicit endorsement of the movie.

I'm still waiting to find out why a once reputable company would risk their whole business in such a reckless manner. Was it just dumb? Have they been bought by Ruppert Murdoch? In the meanwhile I"ll be asking the school board members I campaigned for last year to drop Scholastic as a bookseller.

Does anyone know a good company that can serve as a replacement? The kids should have ready access to books, but us moderate parents can no longer trust Scholastic. I think there's a huge market opportunity here.

Scholastic's link:
http://www.scholastic.com/medialiteracy/

Begin forwarded message: