Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Question for IP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:12:50 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 20, 2006 11:15:48 PM JST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Question for IP

I'd suggest that there is a common term for this. The term is "rhetorical shift". If you google "rhetorical shift" you will find examples.

There may be a formal term for it in either rhetorical theory (I am not sure, because rhetorical theory itself focuses on processes inside a single presentation of an argument or idea, not on temporal processes), or in the profession of Public Relations as followers of Edward Bernays (of which profession I am not a practitioner, but perhaps there are those on the list who are).