Interesting People mailing list archives

more on : How to fly in the U.S. without ID

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:44:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie+ () cs cmu edu>
Date: October 7, 2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on : How to fly in the U.S. without ID

I travelled from Pittsburgh to New York with one of my PhD students who is not a US citizen a few weeks ago. He forgot to bring any form of government ID. At Pittsburgh when they asked for an ID he showed his Carnegie Mellon student ID, and nobody complained at all. At LaGuardia the TSA employee would not accept the CMU ID and sent him back to the airline to get something stamped on his ticket. I was a little worried because I had bought his ticket for him and had accidently spelled his name wrong, but nobody else seemed to notice. I don't know exactly what the airline did because I proceeded through security. But about 5 minutes later my student was back in the security line. They let him through security but did a full wanding and pat down, the same as what they were doing for people they were pulling aside for extra security checks. There was no line at LGA at that time, so the whole incident delayed us no more than 10 minutes. So, at least from this experience, flying in the US without government issued ID appears to be trivial.

Lorrie

--
Lorrie Faith Cranor, Associate Research Professor
Computer Science and Engineering & Public Policy