Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Web Site Lets Anyone Create Fake Boarding Passes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:44:21 -0500

When will our Senators understand ANYTHING

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Huggins <jhuggins () kettering edu>
Date: October 30, 2006 9:04:22 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: more on Web Site Lets Anyone Create Fake Boarding Passes

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, David Farber wrote (in part):

I do seriously question the ethics and maturity of someone who
demonstrates what is well understood just for the sake of it all.

I guess I'm not convinced that the boarding-pass loophole is actually well
understood ... at least, by those with the authority to change things.

As evidence, I cite the reaction of Congressman Edward Markey (D-Mass),
member of the House Homeland Security committee, who, after news of the
website became widely known, called for the creator of the website to be
arrested:

        http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72023-0.html

And then, once it was explained to him that the creator only took a
previously-known attack and made it easier, called on the government to
*HIRE* him instead:

        http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2006/10/congressman_res.html

So, is the guy a criminal or a hero? If Congress can't figure it out, I'm
not convinced they understand the underlying problems ...