Interesting People mailing list archives

more on a new DoD Internet voting scheme

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:56:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: October 26, 2006 11:45:42 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on a new DoD Internet voting scheme

gep2 () terabites com writes:
There is NO way to ensure that the voter is not voting with a gun held to their head (figuratively, or even LITERALLY).
[...]
While the same argument can be made about mailin ballots in general, those in most places represent a small percentage of the total vote; if Internet voting were to become widespread, it could easily become 60% or more of the total vote, and with an inherent and uncontrollable risk of fraud... in fact, it would be an irresistable target for it.

The first point is true, of course, but:

(a) I don't see the anti-Internet voting activists campaigning against mail-in-ballots, which would be consistent with the coercion argument if they're serious about its validity.

(b) In Oregon, all elections are conducted by mail. In Washington state, 33 of 39 counties are entirely vote-by-mail. The parade of horrors that the coercion argument predicts has not been publicly reported. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote-by- mail#First_State_with_vote-by-mail)

(c) I think the security argument (customized malware) is a far stronger one against Internet voting than the coercion one.

-Declan