Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Microsoft Plans For Automatic Hobbling of "Pirated" Vista Systems

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:41:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Warren Magnus <wmagnus () samespace com>
Date: October 4, 2006 1:33:20 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Microsoft Plans For Automatic Hobbling of "Pirated" Vista Systems

David Farber wrote:
Begin forwarded message:
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 4, 2006 12:34:10 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
I don't always agree with Lauren, but on this one, I do.
There must be a few people in the Microsoft leadership (Ballmer, perhaps?) who have come to view their customers as enemies or at least peons who must bow down to the power of Microsoft in all things.
Microsoft sees pirates - and it blames its customers.
Microsoft sees pirates, and it lays a minefield in the path of all its customers, to blow up anyone unsuspecting enough to walk into that minefield. Microsoft behaves, in other words, like any power-mad dictator who feels the need to punish the many for the problems it suffers from the few. Is this the only approach that might make sense? I guess it is when your management adopts a paranoid mindset. I'd suggest an alternative: think creatively about how to encourage customers to see the value you deliver. Stop building your success on "controlling the market" and "lockin" that delivers not new value, but instead late, buggy crap with a few features thrown in.

Dave,

This is the usual anti-DRM argument and frankly I subscribe to this position in general. However, having lost this argument numerous times in the past with developers of other software, customer compliance with copyright enforcement strategies has laid the groundwork for this and proven that customers are totally OK with this kind of corporate behavior. Consumers apparently have no problem at all being treated like active criminals.

For years, Adobe, Microsoft, and everybody else who sells software has used phone home registration schemes and lengthy serial number keys. Some software won't even let you install on a second machine unless you uninstall on the first machine (Adobe, I'm talking to you). Users tolerate this without complaint and continue to vote with their wallets. Users buy the software anyhow.

Further, I expect that despite the capabilities to throttle down or even disable Vista systems, the mechanisms will be used to target the big piracy players. East Asian copy houses that crank out pirated CD- ROMs and publish stolen CD-keys along with them. Being able to shut down the user might well limit demand for the big mass produced pirate copies.

Setting the threshold to forgive small scale copying would mean that a family could get away with installing the same serial number of Vista on more than one machine. Microsoft has already shown huge leniency with this kind of soft piracy with regard to Windows One Care which carries a 3 machine license that doesn't check to see whether there are really only 3 machines installed with a single CD- key. Similarly the Student/Teacher Editition of Microsoft Office is very soft on the enforcement of the 3 machine license limit.

-W