Interesting People mailing list archives

Spam and Spying

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:54:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christopher Beck <cbeck () pharmacogenomics ca>
Date: November 22, 2006 1:39:45 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Spam and Spying

Hi Dave,
A little light-hearted conspiracy theory for IP if you want.

I live in Montreal. Last week, we arrested (with a habeas restrictive Security
Certificate natch) an alleged Russian spy.

Now in WWII, agencies used to send coded messages via broadcast radio. It occurs to me that, in this cash strapped day and age, an agency could broadcast keywords in spam messages where they would appear as innocuous attempts to avoid
filters - message distribution and profit in one easy step.

I would suggest that the huge quantities of spam coming out of the US, Russia,
and China are proof positive of my theory.

So remember, fighting spam isn't only for your own good, it's your patriotic duty!

Cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.wordpress.com
La loi dans sa majestueuse égalité, interdit à tous, aux riches comme