Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC order on VOIP snooping

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:56:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: May 9, 2006 10:19:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: rlrevell () joe-job com
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC order on VOIP snooping

Dave,

It appears this question is more technical than legal since there are many ways to avoid falling under CALEA to do this form of online 'jamming'. As Lee said, it's not VoIP even tho it could be 'used' for it. I'm sure we have all heard the joke with the punchline that says "yes but you have the equipment for it' Just stay away from the actual VoIP and the probabilty of someone implementing a filter for it to conform to CALEA becomes vanishingly small.

Now if you want to go the opposite way and use your regular home (or office) VoIP for jamming then it would potentially fall under CALEA and it then becomes an engineering problem. The same timing issues exist for voice as they do for music timing. In fact, they are potentially more strict since delays in the 10 msec range are commonly used as 'effects' in music and render speech rather interesting and times comical and at times unrecognizable. So I suspect if musicians wish to jam on VoIP circuits they will find their instruments occasionally having 'free' reverb or flanging effects. I suspect (without having tested it) that the implementation will make a difference.