Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A foreign knowledge desert requires cultural irrigation.... in both direcitons....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:59:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Munro, Neil" <NMunro () nationaljournal com>
Date: May 8, 2006 11:57:12 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] A foreign knowledge desert requires cultural irrigation.... in both direcitons....

        As an ex-Eutopian - I actually ran a Young Europeans Club in
university! - I can vouch for Max Hasting's comments about the
Europeans, especially this nice little para re. his visit to the U.S. in
the late 1960s; "I learned a lot about the midwest and the south, which
few Europeans visit, yet which are fundamental to an understanding of
the country. I toured corn farms in Nebraska, cattle ranches in Texas,
computer firms in Ohio and vineyards in California."

        Even now, when I visit the old continent, I'm just astounded by
the ignorance and smugness of many of my peers, which - I assume -
shared back then. They still seem to believe they learned all they need
to know about the U.S. by watching 'Dallas' and 'Sex in the City' or by
listening to taxpayer-funded radio.

        However, there's hope yet - they also watch the Simpsons.

Neil