Interesting People mailing list archives

Maybe the cause is bad desigb of aircraft cell phones and electronic devices are a risk to planes]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:53:46 -0500

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Maybe cell phones and electronic devices are a
risk to planes
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:31:32 -0500
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
To: dave () farber net
CC: 'Dewayne Hendricks' <dewayne () warpspeed com>

I couldn't resist send a note to Spectrum:

- - - -

I'm amazed that the report doesn't cite the aircraft designers for
incompetence. If aircraft is so vulnerable to even the weakest signals in
an RF-laden world then they are too dangerous to fly. Is a PDA more
dangerous than megawatt transmitters on the ground as plans are coming in
for a landing?

The devices cited are part of our basic technical infrastructure. The
effort to find reasons to blame them for problems seems to have a
moralistic agenda. If there are problems then they must be addressed by
those most at risks - the aircraft. Why are they so vulnerable? If they are
then we should ground the complete fleet until they are able to operate in
today's world.

Long ago Dewayne Hendricks commented that if planes were so vulnerable then
they should be fixed.

Why so much attention to what I consider moral threats rather than real
threats that do exist?