Interesting People mailing list archives

more on You mean postings to MySpace aren't private? Who knew?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:08:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: March 28, 2006 1:34:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on You mean postings to MySpace aren't private? Who knew?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steven Hertzberg <stevenstevensteven () gmail com>
Date: March 28, 2006 1:15:37 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

"Private schools, however, are not bound by the First Amendment right to
free speech"

What about the statement above am I not understanding?  Can someone
please
explain to me how a school, private or otherwise, can penalize
someone for
exercising their unalienable right to free speech.

The First Ammendment reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting
an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech ..."

It doesn't read "Schools shall make no regulations, even if students
agree to those regulations by virtue of their enrollment in said
school, abridging the freedom of speech ..."

Note that there are some subtleties in how the first clause has
been interpreted by the Supreme Court that do indeed sometimes
get private actors, but the general principle is that the 1st
ammendment applies to *government action*.

Carl