Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Reporting to God - Dave Maher on the IAHC and Jon Postel" (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:22:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: March 28, 2006 1:05:16 PM EST
To: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] "Reporting to God - Dave Maher on the IAHC and Jon Postel" (fwd)

# This is a very scary story.  Wanted to confirm one "fact":
#
# "It did not reassure me to learn that until 1995, one of the thirteen root # servers was kept by an engineer named Paul Vixie in his garage at home in
# Palo Alto. He later moved it to Stanford to a more secure location."
#
# Is there any truth in the above?

no. it's something network solutions used to say for self- aggrandizement; they also falsely claimed that the UMD server was under a professor's desk,
in an interview they gave WSJ some time during those years.  i'm cc'ing
dave in case he thinks the following story is worthy of interesting- people.

i didn't even have a root name server when i lived in palo alto.

f-root (called NS.ISC.ORG or some such at the time) was built in a garage in redwood city. while that garage had pretty good connectivity (56K DDS) for the mid-nineties, it wasn't enough for a root name server (even back then when traffic was lighter). also i had no generator. the hardware was bought by UUNET Communications Services as part of their BIND grant to ISC. the host was a 486dx2 (66MHz) with 64MB of RAM and two 1GB SCSI disks -- *fat* for the times. and expensive. (this host is still online, having been demoted to
kerberos service... does the computer museum want it, one wonders?)

once built and configured, this host was carried to DECWRL, my former employer, which was also the future home of the Digital Internet Exchange (aka PAIX), and plugged into an equipment rack there. at that time i had only a / 24 of address space and it was very full; f-root's IP address (192.5.5.241) was dictated by the very tight subnet packing i had to use in a pre-NAT era to support hosts in three buildings with a single "class C" network. my rack at DECWRL was an in-kind payment for my post-employment consulting work there, in which i helped brian reid and stephen stuart create what would become PAIX. therefore it seemed perfectly normal to all of us that ISC would become the second PAIX participant after UUNET. (this can be seen in the lowest numbered
IP address allocations in the PAIX /24 network.)

when PAIX moved from DECWRL's computer room to its own facility a block away, ISC was the first participant to move in. f-root was a "peering magnet" that helped sell the PAIX idea, which helps explain why DEC (owner of PAIX at that time) gave ISC some hefty "alpha" equipment to upgrade the hosts. these boxes were the fattest in the land at that time -- four 600MHz 64-bit processors on a nonblocking crossbar CPU/memory interconnect. DEC could not afford to max out the RAM, so my friend mark kosters of network solutions kindly donated enough RAM to max out the backplane. (largely justified by the fact that COM was served on the same hosts as the root zone at that time, and COM was large and growing.) DEC sold hundreds of similar alphas as name servers around the world on the strength of the story, "it's good enough for f-root, it's good
enough for any other nameserver."  and so it was.

f-root is now in 40 or so internet exchange points around the world. we had to renumber every other host in 192.5.5.0/24 to "clean out" the address block and make "anycast" possible. the tradition of ISC never paying for f- root hardware continues -- the IX operators who host our mirrors generally provide the hardware, and cisco and juniper have donated routers in many locations. our two busiest locations are san francisco (digital realty trust) and palo alto (paix switch and data), and the current hosts in those locations are AMD Opteron boxes donated to us by John Gage of Sun Microsystems. we continue to be a "peering magnet" in every internet exchange we enter, and other root name
server operators are now pursuing similar expansion models.

i guess that's more information than you asked for. f-root never served a single packet from any garage. if maher is repeating netsol's self- aggrandizing urban FUD legends without investigating them, then i suggest viewing the rest
of his so-called history with moderate suspicion.