Interesting People mailing list archives

anti-*AOL plan* coalition

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:48:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cindy Cohn <cindy () eff org>
Date: March 22, 2006 5:17:19 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [IP] anti-*AOL plan* coalition

Hi Dave,

Dave Crocker, who I respect immensely, makes two key points, one that
I agree with and one that I must reject.

First, the rejection.  Dave asserts that it's improper for me,
personally, and apparently EFF, to voice any objection to any
proposal to try to respond to spam or phishing unless we also come up
with a complete solution to spam and phishing.  I reject that. In
fact, I hope we all will.  We should all be able to discuss, comment
upon, and yes, even criticize various proposals regardless of whether
we've got a complete solution in the bag. Commentary and criticism is
an important part of any market system. I have no problem with criticism of what I say; I object strongly to a suggestion that I have no right to comment in the first instance.

Second, the agreement. I don't have a principled problem with the
creation of a "trust overlay" for email that identifies "good
actors," as long as it's objectively applied and not coercive. To
help ensure objectivity and prevent coercion, I agree very strongly
with Dave's point that if we're going to build this overlay, or maybe
many overlays, there should be lots of inputs. This is, in fact, one
of my strongest objections to what AOL is doing here, and part of
what I meant when I said that there are "plenty of ways to do
'certified' or 'digitally signed' email without having ISPs choose
winners and charge per message."

AOL is here choosing one input and one proprietary "trust overlay"
system -- Goodmail's -- and taking a financial cut of the money
earned from that overlay and input. My argument is that by doing so,
AOL is undermining the markets for both overlays and inputs, not
fostering it. AOL is also reducing their own incentives to rely on
other inputs, including their own whitelist and enhanced whitelist.

I believe that this will result in real pressure on senders to
join Goodmail's system or face not getting their messages through.
And if other ISPs follow suit, legitimate senders may be faced with having to
navigate (and pay for) several different systems, further increasing
their costs and hurting their ability to speak to a willing audience.

My concern is based in part on the observation that
AOL will reasonably seek to maximize its profits and minimize it's
costs. Pushing senders into Goodmail does both and that's why I'm
skeptical of AOL's claims that nothing will change for senders who
don't choose Goodmail. My concern is also based on my very real
experience with Bonded Sender. Here's a similar report from Bennett
Hazelton about his Peacefire mailing list:

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archives/
20060302_peacefire_joins_open_letter_slamming_aol_email_tax.phtml

Indeed, our main argument here isn't really about Goodmail as a
certification service at all. I do have concerns about whether Goodmail will in fact stop spam or phishing (they don't even claim to address spam), but that's a different matter.

My main concern here is about the risk that AOL
will undermine the market for some of the very things that Dave
suggests by choosing one proprietary system and pushing senders into it on pain of not having their messages delivered to AOL subscribers. I hope
this point isn't lost in the sturm and drang.

Cindy