Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:03:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: March 20, 2006 9:38:08 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Network management and control (was: "Re: more on 1972 ARPANET Film ...")

For IP, if you wish:

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:24:07AM -0500, David Farber wrote:
[...]
One concern that is rarely, if every, discussed is how our drive to
secure this and DRM that is creating a situation where, if the net is
ever broken, it could be very difficult to reassemble (especially as
we construct ever more intricate dependencies between the net and
other infrastructures like the phone system and power grid.)

My own particular concern is what happens to communities that suffer
human or natural disasters and have the people, competence,
equipment, and electrical power to start locally rebuilding their
communications infrastructure but find that they can not do it
because due to security and DRM locks they simply do not have the
power or authority.
[...]

I've made this case for a long time, and I think it's a pretty simple
one to make. Security is a process, and yet DRM as it currently exists
provides no override for boundary cases.

DRM works in one of two ways - communication, or rules. Either the
system gets some live authorization to allow access, or it has a set
of canned responses for whether it does or not. The former doesn't
work if the lines are down, and the latter can't be bypassed by a
human in an emergency.

DRM is a security risk, plain and simple.

I wrote a blog about this for the EFF15 blogathon:

http://www.aquick.org/blog/2005/08/01/why-i-oppose-drm/

--
                                - Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience