Interesting People mailing list archives

YOU'VE GOT GOODMAIL

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:00:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: March 17, 2006 9:24:45 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] YOU'VE GOT GOODMAIL

YOU'VE GOT GOODMAIL

[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Esther Dyson]
[Commentary] A look at why charging money to send e-mail makes sense (at least to Esther Dyson who can afford it). According to Goodmail, market forces are the answer, rather than the kinds of ineffective regulations that have so far failed to solve the problem of spam. Senders should bear the costs of sending mail, and it should be the senders' duty to figure out whether each piece of mail is wanted. Ultimately, I believe, Goodmail or its successors will develop a mechanism to rebate some of the fees to the senders whose mail is wanted. That's why I don't worry about individuals and nonprofits being squeezed out. Goodmail isn't good because it's new, but neither is it bad because it's new. If it's a good model, it will succeed and improve over time. If it's a bad model, it will fail. Why not let the customers decide?

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/17/opinion/17dyson.html? ex=1300251600&en=04138dcf8237c907&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>