Interesting People mailing list archives

wireless on board]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:31:13 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: for ip - wireless on board
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:57:45 +0000
From: Ian Halliday <ian.halliday () gmail com>
To: dave () farber net

In July, I flew from JFK to Munich with Lufthansa. They let people use
laptops on board to connect wirelessly to a service from Boeing that
connects me to the net. So evidently Boeing and Lufthansa are
comfortable with my using a transmitting device on board. The URL is
http://www.connexionbyboeing.com/ and I'm sure there must be some
other ip-ers who have used the service.

Other things about the flight: we were given metal knives and forks
for our meals and we weren't told not to congregate by the toilets.
Perhaps the Germans have discovered that American laws don't apply to
the whole world.

Oh, and the announcements from the captain to the pilot about delays
to the flight weren't the same in German and English. In English, he
was very polite about the delays, but in German he referred to one of
the officials as "ein kleiner Kaiser".
--
Ian W Halliday, BA Hons, SA Fin, ATMG, CL
+44 772 546 2965 (GMT)