Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they're spying on (one answer to Hiawatha)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:49:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <pswire () law gwu edu>
Date: June 8, 2006 2:36:36 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Who they're spying on (one answer to Hiawatha)

Dave:

        For IP if you think it's helpful.

        I think Hiawatha is entirely correct that the U.S. will face
dangerous attacks from terrorists, no matter which party or person is
holding office.

        I have written an article on "Privacy and Information Sharing in the
War Against Terrorism." It tries to do what Hiawatha asks, to "treat the
matter seriously" -- work toward civil liberties and security.

        The article proposes a due diligence checklist for considering new
surveillance and information sharing proposals.

        It is coming out shortly in a symposium of the Villanova Law Review,
and can be downloaded now from http://ssrn.com/abstract=899626.

        Peter

Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neill Professor of Law