Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hub & Spoke or P2P Mesh? That is the question.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:34:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 22, 2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "'Jock Gill'" <jg45 () mac com>, dpreed () reed com, Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Hub & Spoke or P2P Mesh? That is the question.

There is a very different option which is consistent with a marketplace dynamic. Jock, you seem to be confusing the anti- marketplace of the Regulatorium with a marketplace where the incentives are in alignment. The key, as I’m wont to emphasize, is not presuming the answer, it’s in preventing preventing alternatives. If we have pure infrastructure then we enable far more alternatives than if we mandate a particular high speed infrastructure.

The goal is to maximize opportunity not to maximize some arbitrary factor in the short term. Given then we can consider:

Infrastructure at various scales – private, community, region etc. It’s just wire and metal (and wireless). Use of the infrastructure for various networks built upon it. This is akin to having a lot of local Ethernets and using IP protocols at the app level to gain wider routing. Don’t worry about speed. The vital applications don’t need speed and we have today’s TV already. Speed is easy and you’ll get it but only if you don’t make it a requirement and sacrifice the future for a dollop of broadband. Capacity is a more interesting measure. You don’t want static IP addresses – that’s like putting a concrete base on your cordless phone. Look at Skype as an example – it creates its own stable addresses without tying them to the accidental topology of the network. You get P2P meshing as an accidental byproduct. Where I do agree is that local traffic tends to be local and peering is a business relic not a technology. Note that I put wireless in parenthesis because, though I see it as a major part of the future, I’m willing to focus on other aspects because connectivity is going to moot spectrum allocation far sooner than any explicit political agenda. After all, if you have abundant wireless connectivity from nearby access points why run your own transmitters or, worse, satellites, just to get coverage. Why use point to point radios when you can reach the world.

Here is where, I presume, Gerry and I agree, the marketplace is more powerful than Congress though Congress can do a lot of damage trying to help it.