Interesting People mailing list archives

medical tourism book

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:42:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Schult <jss () tftb com>
Date: June 22, 2006 11:39:56 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: medical tourism book

Hi Dave and Jim,

About 2 1/2 years ago, a post to IP written by Jim about the outsourcing of medical services started me down a path that has culminated in the publication of my first book. I'd like to thank you both. "Beauty from Afar: A Medical Tourist's Guide to Affordable and Quality Cosmetic Care Outside the U.S." reached stores and online booksellers just this week. That the book in some sense began on IP is naturally a story that is in the text. I hope neither of you mind too much. ;-)

"Beauty from Afar" is both an overview of medical tourism as a global phenomenon and a practical guide for consumers of health care services. It does focus on plastic surgery as the leading example, at this point in time, of what people are traveling for. But we know that the cost differential between the U.S./West health care systems and those in other parts of the world is creating a new multibillion dollar market for all kinds of medical services. New insurance products are being developed. New regulations are being explored. New case law is being contemplated.

I was only a little surprised last week to be contacted by a staff member of the U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging, which is apparently doing preliminary research on the public policy implications of medical tourism. "Beauty from Afar" is the only book they have found that addresses the issues involved. I am sure it will not be the last.

This is for IP if you wish ...

-jeff

Jeff Schult
517 Ocean Ave.