Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Under Recommendation Engines' Hood

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:33:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rob Raisch <info () raisch com>
Date: June 19, 2006 9:08:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Under Recommendation Engines' Hood

Dave,

My experiences with Pandora are the same as others who have reported here. It's a incredible way to discover new music and artists within multiple categories you define. As another who believes that once our appreciation for new things wanes, so begins our intellectual decline into senescence, I have been driven to purchase a lot of music I didn't know existed before Pandora. (Age: 47)

First you create a "channel" based on an artist or song you particularly like.

Next, Pandora presents songs from similar artists and asks you to rate them
   as either "thumbs-up" (likable) or "thumbs-down" (unlikeable).

Finally, once you have "primed Pandora's pump", you can listen to your new personalized streaming radio station of those songs and artists Pandora believes you will like. Once you discover music you wish to purchase,
   Pandora provides easy links to iTunes or Amazon.

But most interesting of all to me, Pandora is now integrated into the wonderful Slimdevices' Squeezebox. -- http://www.slimdevices.com/ For those who have yet to discover it, the Squeezebox is a high- performance streaming music device that receives music from any local computer, any Shoutcast-compatible Internet radio station, or from the Pandora service, and then converts it directly into audio for performance on your stereo.

The Squeezebox is simple to set-up, supports WIFI (802.11b/g) out of the box, handles many encoding formats (MP3,AAC,WMA,OggVorbis), and is very reasonably priced. It also allows you to add one or more server-side "plug-ins" for such things as management of personal favorites, integration with iTunes and MusicMagic, browsing PodCasts, creating randomized playlists, etc. The Squeezebox's Slimserver software is free, runs on PC, MAC and Linux, and is extremely easy to install and configure. It's written in Perl and is completely open-source which makes it community- supported and very easy to modify. (I've adapted its standard music library and "playlist" features to support multiple, independent users.)

All interaction with the Slimserver happens over a skin-able web interface allowing you to control one or more players, either the Squeezebox device itself or the desktop Java-based "Softsqueeze" player. You can control players separately or collectively to play the same music on all. And finally, the Slimserver allows you to stream any of your music to standard streaming music players (like WinAmp) locally or over the Internet.

I have two Squeezeboxes, one for the living room stereo and another for my bedroom. The bedroom device acts both as my background, low- volume sleep-inducing music player and my high-volume, jarring morning alarm clock.

Pandora's integration with the Squeezebox is only a little less flexible as Pandora's own online player and provides a very effective way to hear many, many new and interesting artists.

/rr

--
Rob Raisch (Techno-junkie and Internet Greybeard)