Interesting People mailing list archives

MySpace and Fox Pledge Millions For Web Safety Campaign

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:44:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Malin <b.malin () vanderbilt edu>
Date: July 14, 2006 9:09:44 AM EDT

Subject: MySpace and Fox Pledge Millions For Web Safety Campaign

My concern is that while they are investing millions - it doesn't appear to
be towards technology development, but rather education of parents and
teens.  It's like saying, "we only build the technology"... Hmm... I've
heard this argument before.

-brad

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17167

Attorneys general from at least four states have issued calls for MySpace to
do more to protect teens.
By Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- The parent company of MySpace.com and Fox is devoting
millions of dollars in television air time and online ad space for a public
service campaign on Internet safety.

Central to News Corp.'s campaign, announced Thursday, is a spot featuring
Kiefer Sutherland, who plays Jack Bauer on the Fox action drama ''24.''

''On TV Jack Bauer has 24 hours to make the world safe. In real life it only
takes a few minutes to do the same for our kids,'' Sutherland says. ''To
protect them you don't need the latest state-of-the-art technology. You just need a few simple tips: Don't let them run into trouble on the Internet --
use common sense.''

The 20-second ad then directs viewers to CommonSense.com, a site run by
Common Sense Media, a nonprofit group that monitors and reviews media and entertainment for parents. There, parents may download a guidebook and a tip
card on Internet safety.

The campaign comes as parents, schools and law-enforcement officials
increasingly warn about the dangers of sexual predators at social- networking sites, which provide messaging and other tools to encourage users to expand
their circles of friends.

MySpace has gotten the brunt of the attention given its position as the
industry leader, with some 92 million registered users, about 20 percent of
them minors.

In June, the mother of a Texas teenager who claims she was sexually
assaulted by another MySpace user sued the social-networking site and News
Corp., seeking $30 million in damages. The lawsuit claims MySpace is
negligent in protecting teen users despite numerous warnings of the dangers.

Attorneys general from at least four states also have issued calls for
MySpace to do more to protect teens.

Over the past several months, MySpace has responded to the concerns by
hiring a safety chief and changing its privacy policies to try to make it
more difficult for adults to contact younger teens.

MySpace and other News Corp. sites also had earlier run ads aimed at
educating users about the dangers.

The new campaign is directed at educating parents and teens on what they can
do.

''We can build the best technology features in the world and the best safety
features, but unless we raise education and awareness around the use of
those, it doesn't do anything,'' said Hemanshu Nigam, MySpace's chief
security officer.

The spot is to run on several Fox cable stations, including FX, Fox Movie Channel and the National Geographic channel. Online video ads will appear on
MySpace.com, FoxSports.com, IGN.com, AmericanIdol.com and other Fox
Interactive Media sites.

Nigam could not say how much News Corp. was committing, other than to say it
was ''millions and millions of dollars worth of time and space.''