Interesting People mailing list archives

Risks in DHS/FEMA wireless phone alerting system

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:47:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 12, 2006 11:13:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Risks in DHS/FEMA wireless phone alerting system

Dave,

According to:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/07/12/alert.system.ap/index.html

DHS/FEMA are pushing ahead with plans to send unsolicited emergency
alert messages (apparently mostly SMS text messages) to cell phones.

I must emphasize again that there are potentially serious
technological and human factors risks associated with unsolicited
messages of this time, even for such laudable goals.

Risk factors include cell network overloading, users unfamiliar with
text messages and their phones' more "advanced" features, how
people will react to such messages (e.g., saturating the cell network
with "Are you OK?" voice calls), and other related concerns.

I brought up some of these issues several months ago here in IP (in
relation to a similar California proposal AB 2231) and there was some
spirited discussion.

Of particular note:

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200603/msg00275.html

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00011.html

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00012.html

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00016.html

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00014.html

http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00019.html

... and associated message threads.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com