Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CALEA - Final Rule

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 08:01:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: July 7, 2006 11:35:07 PM EDT
To: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on CALEA - Final Rule

Date: July 6, 2006 5:48:04 PM EDT
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>

... In short, the FCC seems eager to impose requirements upon us
which would do nothing to enhance homeland security but could well
drive us and other independent ISPs out of business. This would
ensure a cable/telco duopoly and hamper the expansion of broadband
service to rural areas like ours.

Could you apply for some funds from the Universal Service Fund?  Of
course the FCC could just tell the ILECs to use the USF to enter your
market too...

We are not a telephone company. We are not eligible for USF funding. Also, USF funding is allocated to telephone carriers according to the number of high cost customers they serve, not according to how much they must spend to fulfill requirements to make their networks insecure... er, I mean, make them tappable.

--Brett Glass