Interesting People mailing list archives

much more on Net neutrality and antitrust

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:03:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: July 6, 2006 4:56:40 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Net neutrality and antitrust

Dave [for IP]--

Of course the telcos are exquisite lobbyists, everyone knows they are,
and vilifies them for it, up to and including Google.  But if Vint's
quote is to be believed, it looks like Google is prepared to do the same
sort of lobbying at DoJ to get them to carry their water for them.  The
point of my note is that perhaps they should think of carrying their own
water (in the event of an anticompetitive fire;-) by instituting private
antitrust action rather than lobbying DoJ to do their work.  If we are
going to criticize the telcos for excessive lobbying, isn't it
hypocritical to contemplate doing the same thing?

Of course the MS case has nothing to do with NN; I never said it did.
The lesson I draw from the MS case is that it was private competitors
energetically lobbying DoJ that led to the case initiation, and it
appears (again, assuming the Vint quote accurate) that Google was about
to follow in their footsteps.

Incidentally, in spite of some recent mis-steps, I have enormous regard
for the Antitrust guys at DoJ.  They are smart, disciplined, relatively
removed from political influence, and serious about their economics.  We
are lucky to have them.  Not totally immune from lobbying, of course.

An aside: we may all hate lobbyists, even though we tend to lobby like
crazy ourselves (of course, WE are not the hated lobbyists).  But the
telcos are so much better at it than Google/Yahoo/MS; the applications
guys are just getting their butts kicked on this, and they haven't a
clue as to how to recover.  For students of the political process (who
actually enjoy watching their sausage being made), this is a textbook
lesson in how seasoned political operatives do their job and win.  Hope
the apps boys are taking notes.

Professor Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor of Law
University of Pennsylvania